The Cricket History of Calderdale and Kirklees

About the Project

Links

Contact Us

Home   Archives   Schools   Online Shop   Message Board   Newsletter

 

<< back

GOLCAR CC

Swallow Lane, Town End, Golcar, Huddersfield HD7 4NB

View Map

Huddersfield League

Huddersfield Junior League

Volunteer Contacts:

David Thorpe & David Law

Club Website

 
  Golcar
 

Founded: 1871
Forerunner: Founded originally as St. John's Golcar CC; become Golcar CC in 1882
Nickname: 'The Lilies' (after 'Golcar Lily')
Nearest Landmark: A Working Men's Cooperative Society (dating from 1895)
Nearest Railway Station: Slaithwaite
By Bus: 303/338 from Huddersfield Bus Station
Nearest Other Club: Leymoor CC
Nearest Pub: Commercial Inn - but the Rose & Crown is the club pub

Club

Timeline (40kb PDF)

Early Years (1.1mb PDF)
Later Years (1.7mb PDF)

Centenary Brochure 1871-1971 (7.1mb PDF)
Club History in Express & Chronicle Newspapers (143kb PDF)

History of Club and Ground - Extract from Pennine Pitch (30kb PDF)

Concise History of Club (12kb PDF)


1870s by Oliver Taylor (7kb PDF)
1873 1st Match (7kb PDF)
1881-1973 Golcar Professionals (8kb PDF)

1883 L.Wrathnal Benefit Game (16kb PDF)

1903 Championship Winners - Huddersfield Examiner 1 (17kb PDF)
1903 Championship Winners - Huddersfield Examiner 2 (21kb PDF)

1903, 1905, 1934 & 1935 Final Tables (9kb PDF)

1905 'Double' Winners (41kb PDF)

1905 Golcar Sing & 'Double' Winners (96kb PDF)

1905-47 Winning Teams (204kb PDF)
1926 Duties of the Steward (10kb PDF)

1926-40 Committee Minutes: 'Missing Dominoes!' (8kb PDF)

1932 Member's Card (1.6mb PDF)

1934 Byrom Shield Joint Winners (43kb PDF)
1934 & 1935 Fixtures & Results (11kb PDF)

1935 Huddersfield League Champions (52kb PDF)

1944 Huddersfield League Champions (44kb PDF)
1944 Season Review (17kb PDF)

1945 Member's Card (180kb PDF)

1945 Arthur Noble Professional Contract (215kb PDF)

1963: Sonny Ramadhin, David Barber & Team Photo (204kb PDF)

1967 Brian Turner Correspondence (1.4mb PDF)

1967-9 Professionals' Contracts (1.3mb PDF)

1981 Fundraising, Bar Extension & Team Photos (406kb PDF)

1992-8 Tours of Barbados (248kb PDF)

1998 6-a-Side Success and Walker Cup Winners (313kb PDF)

2000 Tour of Barbados (84kb PDF)

2002 Tour of Barbados (181kb PDF)

2002 Great Match v Hall Bower by Peter Redding (24kb PDF)

2002 Atul Bedade Exploits (198kb PDF)

2004 Bolster Moor Calendar Photos (181kb PDF)
2004 Golcar v Barbados North Stars (38kb PDF)

2004-5 New Changing Rooms & Team Photo (158kb PDF)

2005 Great Match v Kexborough by Peter Redding (25kb PDF)

2005 Heritage Exhibition Launch Poster (43kb PDF)

2006 University of Huddersfield Evening Course (web link)

2006 Fundraising Night with Clare Taylor & Dave Woods (1.0mb PDF)
2006-7 Ashes Preview by ex-Golcar Stars Paul Nemes and Jeremy Brown (19kb PDF)

2006-7 New Year's Eve Event (7kb PDF)

2007 Sports Quiz Publicity - University Team (20kb PDF)

2007 Golcar v Scholes by Peter Redding (2.2mb PDF)
2007 Golcar v East Bierley by Peter Redding (35kb PDF)

2007 Touring Party from Barbados (80kb PDF)

2009 Sykes Cup Final v Elland at Honley (728kb PDF)

Barbados Connection (8kb PDF)
Bazaar Information (7kb PDF)

CASC Club (web link)

Club Accounts by Peter Redding (45kb PDF)
Club in Numbers (7kb PDF)

Club of Four Grounds (11kb PDF)

Community Links (10kb PDF)


Friarmere Affair (8kb PDF)

Golcar Sing (26kb PDF)
Great Matches (10kb PDF)

Heritage Display in Club Pavilion (210kb PDF)

Juniors (web link)

League Handbook Entries - undated (39kb PDF)

'Lily' Nickname (18kb PDF)

Match Report v Elland - undated (24kb PDF)
Origins of the Club (14kb PDF)

Top Trivia (23kb PDF)

Wartime Stories (7kb PDF)

Women's Cricket (web link)
Youth Cricket by Peter Redding (19kb PDF)

LEAGUES: Huddersfield League (web link)

People

Who's Who (170kb PDF)
Atul Bedade   Cricinfo

Roy Booth   Biography (11kb PDF)   Profile by Peter Redding (84kb PDF)   Cricinfo

John Cooper   Biography (8kb PDF)    Profile (135kb PDF)   Photo (76kb PDF)

Jane Crane   On her Grandfather and Golcar CC (130kb PDF)

Jim Cumbes   Cricinfo

Shane Deitz   2006 v England (web link)

Peter Eyre   Cricinfo

Roy Gilchrist   Cricinfo

Michael Glenn   Profile by Peter Redding (15kb PDF)   Cricinfo

Tommy Greenhough   Cricinfo

Thomas Hanson   Biography (8kb PDF)   Profile by Peter Redding (77kb PDF)

Percy Holmes   Biography (10kb PDF)   Cricinfo

Peter Lever   Cricinfo

Ashley Pamment   Signing (94kb PDF)   Interview by Peter Redding (39kb PDF)

Sonny Ramadhin  Profile by Ashley Ball (17kb PDF)  Cricinfo  2007 World Cup (23kb PDF)

Harold Rhodes   Cricinfo

Dave Robinson   Profile by Peter Redding (78kb PDF)

Frank Rolyn   Oral History

Arthur Shaw   Biography (11kb PDF)

Mick Smith   Profile by Peter Redding (38kb PDF)

John Smith   Oral History

Andrew Taylor   Biography (10kb PDF)

Clare Taylor   Biography (12kb PDF)  Profile (20kb PDF)  In New Zealand (17kb PDF)

David Thorpe   Profile (150kb)  'Golcar XI' (33kb)  '500 Runs' (93kb)  Oral History (324kb)

John Thorpe   Oral History

Brian Turner   Biography (7kb PDF)   Profile (23kb PDF)   Cricinfo  Photo (50kb PDF)
Chester Watson   Cricinfo


Steve Whitwam   Profile by Peter Redding (20kb PDF)
Claire Woodhead-Turner   Profile by Peter Redding (22kb PDF)

Club Presidents (7kb PDF)

Ladies of the Lily (10kb PDF)

1960s Galaxy of Stars (8kb PDF)

2007 Squad Pen Pix by Peter Redding (27kb PDF)

Team Photos

1900s (161kb PDF)

1920s (88kb PDF)

1930s (140kb PDF)

1940s (135kb PDF)

1950s (92kb PDF)

1960s (80kb PDF)

1980s (266kb PDF)

1990s (518kb PDF)

2000s (335kb PDF)

Undated (44kb PDF)

History of Ground

Story of Swallow Lane (750kb PDF)

1999 View of Ground (74kb PDF)

2007 (15 Apr) Golcar v Scholes - Friendly (2.1mb PDF)

2008 (12 Apr) Swallow Lane (1.4mb PDF)

2008 (14 Jun) Golcar v Meltham (2.7mb PDF)

2009 (12 Apr) Golcar v Scholes (1.2mb PDF)

2009 (25 Jul) Golcar v Skelmanthorpe (214kb PDF)

3D Map & Aerial Photograph (250kb PDF)

Swallow Lane Today (10kb PDF)
Watercolour by Tony Haigh

Ground Today

Action (341kb PDF)

Aerial Views (429kb PDF)

Clubhouse (230kb PDF)

Covers (419kb PDF)

General Views (538kb PDF)

'Golcar CC' Gates (134kb PDF

Nearby 'Cricket' Gate (119kb PDF)

New Changing Rooms (304kb PDF)

Old Changing Rooms (516kb PDF)

On the Boundary (1mb)

Scorebox (1.4mb PDF)

Spectators (1.2mb PDF)

Sponsors' Boards (396kb PDF)

Wicket & Square (1.3mb PDF)

Winter Snow (167kb PDF)

Oral History

Frank Rolyn, John Smith & John Thorpe

Club Facilities (audio)
Cricket in the Forces (audio)
John Connington (audio)

Ladies Making Potted Meat (audio)
Role of the Committee (audio)

Supporters (audio)

David Thorpe

500 Runs and Other Memories (audio)
Changing Game (audio)
Club Volunteers (audio)
Professionals & Overseas Players (audio)

Local Context

Profile of Golcar by Lindsay Pollick (137kb PDF)

Wikipedia (web link)

Colne Valley (web link)

Colne Valley Museum (web link)

Colne Valley Society (web link)

Golcar, 1890s (web link)

Golcar Lily (web link)

Golcar Together (web link)

Huddersfield Narrow Canal (web link)

Kirklees Profile (web link)

Library (web link)

Old Photographs (web link)

Leymoor CC (web link)

Former Cricket Clubs in Local Area (web link)

Gentlemen of Golcar CC

Golcar Church Institute CC

Golcar Liberal CC

Golcar Treasurer's XI

Further Reading

J.W.Bamforth, Colne Valley Circular Walks (Colne Valley Society, 1992)

D.Clark, Colne Valley, Radicalism to Socialism (Longman, 1981)

E.Lockwood, Colne Valley Folk (Heath Cranton, 1936)

Huddersfield Examiner

Colne Valley Chronicle

 

With grateful thanks David Thorpe (GCC).

Note:
You will need the Adobe Acrobat Plug-in to view these files.
   

 

Select Images to View Below:

The Ground
Archive Images

 

Greatest Moment

Winning the Huddersfield League for the first time in 1903, and then again in 1905.

Local Hero

Clare Taylor, stalwart of the England women's team, who learnt her cricket at Golcar and also scored for the men's teams.

Bizarre Fact

Golcar CC go on tour to Barbados every two years.

 

Club with Four Grounds

1871    Scar Bottom


1872    Low Westwood Bottom


1874    Knowle Bank


1877    Town End (Swallow Lane )

Bazaars and Bungalows

Quite early on, development work had to be done at Swallow Lane. In 1877 an area of turf (40 x 10 yards) was laid at a cost of £5. And it paid an immediate dividend - the club went through the 1879 season unbeaten. The ground was relaid in 1895, and a special club bazaar raised £300 to help pay for this work.

The ground is sited just a few hundred yards from the centre of Golcar, and nestles close to a pub, a brewery, and a working men's cooperative society (which, incidentally, dates from 1895).

To an extent, the ground reflects the character of the village in which it is set. On one side, it borders onto the back gardens of some very posh bungalows - not really in keeping with 'industrial' Golcar; but on the other, there is a raw Colne Valley landscape to  admire -  full  of  cottages,  mills,  farmers' fields and  breathtaking  hillside vistas (not forgetting the Pole Moor transmission mast in the mid-distance).

This backdrop gives the ground a spectacular feel. The fact that the playing area slopes down to the 'posh bungalow' side just adds to the character of the place.

In 1924 a bazaar raised the 'princely sum' of £900 for club funds. By 1928 development work on the ground had commenced, with the club employing an architect - Mr. A. Shaw - and also masons, joiners, plumbers, slaters, plasterers and printers.

The economic depression at the time meant that building work was constantly delayed, but today an inscription on the front of the pavilion tells us that it was finally erected in 'A.D.1933'. We are told that Golcar borrowed £750 to pay for the construction costs.

The venue has many interesting features: the 'mini-road' that skirts the playing area on one side of the ground; and the massive grass bank on the other, which sits beneath a long, meandering (and white) dry stone wall. When the sun is shining and the onfield action has reached an interesting stage, locals tend to congregate on the bank - and if the wicket has been laid on that side of the field, they are close to the action.

Golcar's 'Italian Look'

Golcar is an industrial district full of character and personality. In 1834 Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory said the village was best known for its 'manufacture of coarse woollen cloths, chiefly for the Huddersfield market…and finer cloths are likewise made, with which some of the inhabitants travel through different parts of the country.'

In January 1967 Huddersfield East MP J.P.W.Mallalieu told the Huddersfield Examiner that Golcar's 'Italian look' could make it a tourist attraction. The newspaper commented: 'Row upon row of cottages, piled almost on top of one another, so that some folk step out of their front door practically onto a neighbour's rooftop have certainly given Golcar some similarity to a terraced Italian village.'

Locals were apparently 'sceptical' about the claim, but three and a half decades on, a local website was playing on the same kind of theme: 'Golcar is a hill village of a type more common in Italy than England, Sir John Betjeman even called it the "Provence of the North."'

Apart from its industrial heritage, the place is famous for its parish church (built in 1903) and Golcar Races. It is home to the Colne Valley Museum and the Weavers Shed restaurant. And in June 2002 the village played host to the Northern Hamster Show.

Golcar takes its name from St. Guthlac, a Saxon saint of the eighth century. Guthlac's Scar, or Guthlac's rock ('Gudlagesarc') may have been the rock from which Guthlac declared the faith. Over the centuries the name became Golcar by way of 'Guthlacharwas', 'Gouthelagh' and, in the Domesday Book, 'Goullakarres'.

By way of a postscript, another website says that 'Golcar' is 'pronounced "Gow-ker" according to some locals and "go ka", silent L, no W according to others'. Golcar - however it is pronounced - is also famous for its 'lilies', though no-one is quite sure why.

Church Connection

The Golcar club was founded in 1871. In its first incarnation it was known as St. John's CC because of its link with the nearby church. In 1882 it evolved into Golcar CC. In the early and mid-1870s it played at Scar Wood, Lowestwood Bottom and Knowle Bank. In 1877 it upped sticks for the last time and moved to Swallow Lane.


Quite early on, development work had to be done at the venue. In 1877 an area of turf (40 x 10 yards) was laid at a cost of £5. And it paid an immediate dividend - the club went through the 1879 season unbeaten. The ground was relaid in 1895, and a special club bazaar raised £300 to help pay for this work.


Swallow Lane is sited just a few hundred yards from the centre of Golcar, and nestles close to a pub, a brewery, and a working men's cooperative society (which, incidentally, dates from 1895). To an extent, the ground reflects the character of the village in which it is set.

On one side, it borders onto the back gardens of some very posh bungalows - not really in keeping with 'industrial' Golcar; but on the other, there is a raw Colne Valley landscape to admire - full of cottages, mills, farmers' fields and breathtaking hillside vistas (not forgetting the Pole Moor transmission mast in the mid-distance).

This backdrop gives the ground a spectacular feel. The fact that the playing area slopes down to the 'posh bungalow' side just adds to the character of the place.
In the early years, Golcar were indebted to Arthur Shaw, an enthusiastic and long-serving member, who was also instrumental in the formation of the Huddersfield & District League.

On the field, success came in short bursts: the club won Section A in 1903 and 1905, and then again in 1934 and 1935. Two big names to turn out for Golcar were Roy Booth (who also played for Yorkshire) and Brian Turner (a well respected pro).
In 1924 another bazaar raised the 'princely sum' of £900 for club funds.

Architects and Inscriptions

By 1928 development work on the ground had commenced, with the club employing an architect - Mr. A. Shaw - and also masons, joiners, plumbers, slaters, plasterers and printers. The economic depression at the time meant that building work was constantly delayed, but today an inscription on the front of the pavilion tells us that it was finally erected in 'A.D.1933'. We are told that Golcar borrowed £750 to pay for the construction costs.

This was just one key date in the history of Swallow Lane. Others include:

1939 - Billiard table and wireless donated to the club.

1948 - Club pays off all its debts; volunteers start work on improving premises.

1950 - £150 spent on the wicket.

1957 - Moss on the field becomes a serious problem.

1961 - 'No Sunday cricket' motion defeated.

In the post-war era, Wilson's Brewery helped to renovate the clubhouse, and in 1969 the club stated: 'The ground is kept in beautiful condition and the wickets play fast and true. The whole place is steeped in cricket tradition and since the League was formed the club has held a most important place from a playing and legislative point of view.'


The clubhouse - now 70 years old - is a modest but handsome building. Inside there are momentos from the history of Golcar C.C., and also a cute little café area, which serves excellent fare to visiting spectators at a very reasonable cost. Adjacent to the clubhouse is the bowling green. The changing rooms are not housed in the clubhouse, but in a charming little building diametrically opposite. But plans are afoot to extend the clubhouse so that the players can change and eat in the same building.


There are other interesting features of the venue: the 'mini-road' that skirts the playing area on one side of the ground; and the massive grass bank on the other, which sits beneath a long, meandering (and white) dry stone wall. When the sun is shining and the onfield action has reached an interesting stage, locals tend to congregate on the bank - and if the wicket has been laid on that side of the field, they are close to the action.


At one point in time, Golcar C.C. had a huge number of members. Take, for example, the following figures: 1935 - 480; 1938 - 450; 1943 - 350; 1945 - 370 (+120 women); 1953 - 340 (+80 women/juniors); 1958 - 450 in total. This membership information helps us to chart the history of the club, as does the following selection of trivia:

1926 - Complaints about the quality of the beer.

1928 - Women are excluded from 'celebratory dinner'.

1934 - Meat tea costs 1/3.

1940 - Club helps with Golcar Comforts Fund.

1946 - Talent money: 5/- for 50; 5/- for 6 wkts; 5/- for hat-trick; 2/6 for 3 catches.

Disclaimer - Designed and programmed by Lee Booth.

 
Heritage Lottry Fund University of Huddersfield